Panasonic has announced the release of its anticipated free firmware update for the LUMIX S1H full-frame mirrorless camera, further enhancing the camera’s performance for professional cinematographers.
Working together with Atomos, a global company that creates video equipment for filmmakers, Panasonic’s new firmware enables the output of maximum 5.9K/29.97p and 4K[i]/59.94p RAW video data over HDMI to save it in the Apple ProRes RAW codec on the Atomos Ninja V 4K HDR monitor-recorder. In addition, the update also offers Super 35mm Anamorphic 4:3 in 3.5K resolution which is a standard for filmmakers in production.
The free firmware will be available at the LUMIX Global Customer Support website on May 25, 2020: https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/.
Scott Mellish, Senior Product Marketing Manager, Imaging, Panasonic, said: “Our longstanding relationship with Atomos has allowed us to offer high quality uncompressed external recording on our GH Series cameras, including 4:2:2 10-bit 60p output. With this announcement of 5.9K over HDMI we continue to push the boundaries of what is possible in our LUMIX range, offering impressive image quality and giving users high flexibility RAW capture, in the efficient codec of ProRes RAW.”
“Filmmakers will appreciate the production and editing potential that ProRes RAW from the S1H will provide. We’ve also further improved S1H functionality for filmmakers and still photographers with capabilities such as down conversion for output over 4K on HDMI; improved noise reduction when shooting in V-Log for greater control over the image; and enhanced stabilisation when using adapted lenses.”
Key Capabilities: LUMIX S1H Firmware Version 2.0
1. RAW video data output over HDMI
- [5.9K] / [4K] / [Anamorphic (4:3) 3.5K] 12-bit RAW video data can be output over HDMI.
Apple ProRes RAW can be recorded on Atomos Ninja V.
|Areas||Resolution||Frame Rate||Aspect||HDMI Output|
|Full Frame||5.9K (5888x3312)||29.97p/25p/23.98p||16:9||12-bit|
|Super 35mm||4K (4128x2176)||59.94p/50p/29.97p/25p/23.98p||17:9||12-bit|
|Super 35mm Anamorphic||3.5K (3536x2656)||50p/29.97p/25p/23.98p||4:3||12-bit|
- V-Log or Rec.709 is selectable on Live View monitor during RAW output.
- Shooting assist functions including WFM (Wave Form Monitor), Vector Scope, Luminance Spot Meter, Zebra Pattern can be used during RAW output
2. Enhanced video functions / improved performance
- Downconverted output over HDMI during [6K]/[5.9K]/[5.4K] video recording is available.
- In Creative Video mode, it is possible to disable the shutter button so it does not start/stop video recording when pressed.
- In Creative Video mode, it is possible to set [Rec Quality(My List)] from the control panel.
- The value of noise reduction in [V-Log] in Photo Style has been expanded to [-1]. It suppresses afterimages that previously occurred in some situations.
- It is possible to prevent the enlarged view window of MF Assist from being output over HDMI.
- There were cases where colour banding appeared in 4:2:0/10-bit video recording in some situations. This bug has been minimised.
- There were cases where the REC RUN time code did not count up when video was recorded on an external device over HDMI. This bug has been fixed.
3. Other added functions / improvements
- It is possible to set [AF+MF] in AFC mode.
- It is possible to assign functions to the lens’ Fn buttons when the Panasonic LUMIX S PRO 70-200mm F2.8 O.I.S. (S-E70200) is mounted.
- It is possible to assign functions to the Fn buttons of Sigma L-Mount interchangeable lenses.
- When attaching a lens using the Sigma MC-21 mount converter and [Image Stabiliser] > [Lens] is set to ON, Body I.S. (Image Stabiliser) suppresses roll movement.
- [Backlight Illumination Period] has been added to the Status LCD menu. [ON1] prevents the LCD backlight from being turned off.
- It is possible to select the preferred card slot when saving JPEG images developed by in-camera RAW processing.
- [0.5 SEC] has been added as an option of [Duration Time (photo)] in [Auto Review].
- [Off (Disable Press and Hold)] can be assigned to the Fn button. It disables operation when the button is long-pressed.
- Fn button can be depressed to enable depth of field preview (aperture effect).
- To prevent improper operation, touch-control is disabled for [Delete All] operation in playback mode. Only cursor buttons can be used for [Delete All] operation.
- There were rare cases where the camera froze during [Segmented File Recording] or during recording at 400 Mbps under a particular set of conditions including the type of SD Card used. This phenomenon has been improved.
- Aperture and shutter speed can be controlled using front/rear dials when the rear monitor is set to OFF.
- There were cases where F-stop value control failed depending on the maximum F value when a non-Panasonic L-Mount lens was used. This bug has been fixed.
[i] 4128×2176(17:9), announced as “C4K” at IBC2019. Corresponding to C4K (4096×2160) as defined by Digital Cinema Initiatives (DCI).