Panasonic today announced the launch of its latest fully rugged handheld – the Toughpad FZ-F1 – in the Australian market. Powered by Windows 10 IoT Mobile Enterprise, the device offers further choice for customers following the release of its Android counterpart in the first half of this year.
The Toughpad FZ-F1 is one of the thinnest and most lightweight tablets in the 4.7” category and is intended to support those who are exposed to tough and high-risk work environments, due to its fully ruggedised design.
It has 3-in-1 capabilities combining a mobile barcode reader, phone and tablet into one device with a long-lasting battery that provides up to eight hours of continuous use, perfect for the mobile workforce.
The rear barcode reader allows users to scan items easily while the multi-touch display can be accessed even with gloves on, making the device ideal for transportation and logistics, manufacturing and retail industries. It is also well-suited for a wide variety of applications, such as inventory management, shipping and receiving, delivery routing and parcel tracking, and retail store queue busting.
With the average handheld tablet repair costing organisations over $AUD3,850 and 6 hours in lost time, many businesses are seeking out ruggedised technology to reduce IT costs and lost productivity associated with damaged devices, as well as increase efficiency and provide better service for customers.
Businesses are also mindful of staff health, such as Repetitive Strain Injury. According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, around one third of workplace injuries in Australia are sprains or strains. The Toughpad FZ-F1 has been specifically designed to overcome these operational and health challenges.
Marc Amelung, General Manager, Mobile Solutions, Panasonic Australia, said:
“It’s no surprise that the rugged mobile market is expected to continue its steady growth – Australian companies are realising consumer-grade products do not provide the necessary value or sophistication required to address business needs. This has resulted in thousands being lost in repair costs and days being lost each year in productivity.
The FZ-F1 will help to slash field failure rates, raise productivity and reduce work-based injuries thanks to its innovative design. Panasonic has a strong 20 year heritage in the Toughbook category and we will continue to adapt and serve businesses with our tailored solutions.”
Toughpad FZ-F1 purpose built features:
- Angled barcode reader – The ergonomically designed, angled rear barcode reader allows the user to scan items without bending at the elbow or wrist while also being able to clearly read the screen. This purpose-built feature was designed to improve productivity and reduce the potential for repetitive strain injuries.
- Full outdoor functionality – The Toughpad FZ-F1 has a daylight readable display and is built to withstand a 1.8 metre drop on concrete, and it even works with a wet screen or with gloves on. The device is fully sealed against dust and is submersible in 100cm of water for 30 minutes, meeting IP65 and IP68 certification requirements, plus it can withstand temperatures from below -100C to above +500C.
- Windows 10 IoT Mobile Enterprise – As the world’s lightest fully rugged handheld tablet, this 4.7” Windows device features a quad-core Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ processor, delivering industry leading performance along with a purpose-built design and rugged credentials that live up to the brand’s heritage. The Panasonic FZ-F1 also gives companies the ability to develop in an open environment with thousands of enterprise grade applications at workers’ fingertips.
- 4G phone connectivity – The FZ-F1 is a full multi-carrier Band 28 4G LTE phone with dual SIM card support and up to 630 hours standby time. It comes with 100 decibel speakers with noise suppression and triple noise-cancelling microphones.
- Military-certified toughness – It can operate in a wide range of environments and has passed a torturous tumble test that saw the device endure 2,000 consecutive one metre drops – so it can stand up to the trials of the most demanding enterprise and government usage environments.
- High capacity warm swappable battery – The tablet can operate beyond a typical eight-hour work shift on the standard, field replaceable battery, and with an optional extended life battery it can go well beyond two full work shifts. For times when a battery change is necessary during work hours, it can be accomplished while keeping the device operational. And when more power is needed, the quick charge capability delivers extended use after a one hour charge, with a full charge averaging only two hours.
- Versatile optional accessories – A broad selection of accessories will be available for the Toughpad FZ-F1, including vehicle docks, hand strap, single and multiple device cradles, multi-battery and multi device chargers, passive and active stylus options and an extended life battery.
The handheld tablet will be available with dual SIM slots and certified on leading mobile carrier networks, providing 4G LTE/3G/GPRS/CDMA2000 mobile broadband for voice (or VoIP) and data. To ensure clear voice communications above industrial noise, the device is equipped with intelligent noise suppression capabilities and dual front speakers providing an astounding maximum volume of 100 decibels. Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, near field communications (NFC), standalone and assisted GPS (A-GPS) and Bluetooth®, v4.1 (Class 1) are standard.
Pricing and availability
The Windows-powered Toughpad FZ-F1 will be available in September priced from $2799rrp.
Toughpad FZ-F1 specifications
|HARDWARE & SOFTWARE||Qualcomm® MSM8974AB 2.3GHz Quad Core;
Windows 10 IoT Mobile Enterprise
|DURABILITY||MIL-STD-810G; IP66 (high-pressure jet spray) and IP68 (submersible up to 1m for 30 minutes); 1.8m drop-resistant and 1m tumble tested
|DISPLAY||4.7 inch high definition 1280 x 720 sunlight-viewable display; 10-point capacitive multi-touch with rain sensing and glove touch mode; optional active or passive stylus
|POWER SUPPLY||Quick charging 3200 mAh Li-Ion standard battery pack, and optional 6400 mAh long life battery pack; warm-swap capability
|INTERFACE & EXPANSION||Angled 1D/2D barcode reader; microSDXC; micro-USB 2.0; user-definable buttons (x 3); integrated microphones (x 3) with noise suppression and echo cancellation; dual loud speakers (up to 100 db); 5MP HD front facing webcam; 8MP HD rear camera with LED light
|WIRELESS||Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac; GPS; Bluetooth and NFC
|WARRANTY||3-year limited warranty, parts and labour