Panasonic has announced the availability of firmware that will further enhance the performance of its innovative LUMIX digital single lens mirrorless camera lineup – including the LUMIX S1R and S1 full-frame models; and key cameras in the popular G Series range.
The firmware will be available for download at the LUMIX Global Customer Support website https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/ at 11:00am AEST on 9 July, 2019.
Scott Mellish, Senior Product Marketing Manager, Imaging, Panasonic, said: “These powerful additions enhance the precision of an already exacting feature set. On launch, the S Series offered class-leading Dual I.S. 2 (Image Stabilisation) at 6 stops for the first time in a full-frame camera. With the upgrade, it will support an additional half stop for 6.5 stops of image stabilisation, delivering handheld shooting at even slower speeds and ISO values.”
“We’ve also introduced an innovative new function to improve the photographer’s control over AF – AF-ON Near Shift and AF-ON Far Shift. Assignable to a function button, this capability allows the user to confidently guide AF by refocusing on a subject closer or further away than the camera’s current AF position.”
“Without using the touch screen, or taking their hand away from the camera, they can alternate between subjects for precise AF when there are a number of potential targets. This is a boon for professionals – from videographers capturing events where there are large groups of people; to still photography of birds, where you want to avoid placing the focus on a foreground branch or leaf, and push into the depth of a scene without manual AF adjustment.”
The updates are as follows:
S Series full-frame mirrorless cameras
LUMIX S1R Firmware Version 1.2 and LUMIX S1 Firmware Version 1.2
Improved performance of the Body Image Stabiliser
The correction performance of the Body Image Stabiliser has been improved from a maximum of 5.5 stops to a maximum of 6.0 stops[i], and the correction performance of the Dual I.S. 2 has been improved from 6.0 stops to 6.5 stops[ii]
Improved AF performance
- AF-ON: Near Shift] and [AF-ON: Far Shift] functions have been added. [AF-ON: Near Shift] puts a preference on focusing on a nearby subject while [AF-ON: Far Shift] puts a preference on focusing on a distant subject.
- The tracking performance when using [Tracking] AF mode in video recording has been improved.
- Live view display during auto focusing is now easier to see.
Improved operational stability
- Operational stability when using an XQD memory card has been improved.
LUMIX S1 Firmware Version 1.2
- The video recording modes [MOV]
- HDMI 4K60p/50p[iii] 4:2:2 10bit output
- V-Log will be added in Photo Style.
- The [V-Log View Assist] function will be added, which enables viewing the V-Log file with LUT (Look Up Table) when recording video in V-Log.
- The [Read LUT File] function will be added, which allows users to install and apply their favorite LUT.
- A WFM (Waveform Monitor) display function.
- A [Luminance Level] adjustment function that complies with 10-bit.
- An [XLR Mic Adaptor Setting] function that enables high-res sound recording using the XLR Microphone Adapter DMW-XLR1 (sold separately)[iv].
Micro Four Thirds mirrorless cameras
GH5 Firmware Version 2.5 / GH5S, G9, G95, G85, GX9 Firmware Version 1.3
Improved compatibility with the Panasonic LEICA DG VARIO-SUMMILUX 10-25mm / F1.7 ASPH. (H-X1025) digital interchangeable lens.
- Smooth aperture control is available during video recording.
- [Aperture Ring Increment] has been added, allowing users to choose the control method of the aperture ring from [SMOOTH] or [1/3EV] in photo shooting.
GH5 Firmware Version 2.5 / GH5S, G9, G85 Firmware Version 1.3
Improved compatibility with the Panasonic Remote Shutter DMW-RS2.
- The video REC switch on the Remote Shutter can be disabled in the camera’s custom menu
G95 Firmware Version 1.3
Improved compatibility with the Panasonic Battery Grip DMW-BGG1.
- The Fn button on the Battery Grip can be customised in the camera’s custom menu.
For further information, please visit www.panasonic.com.au or call 132 600.
[i] Based on the CIPA standard
(Yaw/Pitch direction: focusing distance f=50mm, when S-X50 is used.)
[ii] Based on the CIPA standard
(Yaw/Pitch direction: focusing distance f=105mm, when S-R24105 is used.)
Based on the CIPA standard
(Yaw/Pitch direction: focusing distance f=200mm, when S-R70200 is used.)
[iii] PAL area only.
[iv] MOV only
[v] Terms and conditions apply.