Panasonic is set to introduce the HC-X1, a premium handheld 4K camcorder designed for working professionals wanting to create stunning 4K video content. The HC-X1 can record in Cinema 4K (4096 x 2160) at 24p, 4K (3840 x 2160) at 50p/60p, dual 4K and FHD (via dual SD cards) and Infrared.
The 1-inch MOS sensor and 20x zoom Leica Dicomar lens provide outstanding image quality and flexibility for excellent results whatever the shooting situation. The HC-X1 allows the user to focus on video production, with a wide array of functions and customisable controls that streamline workflow to increase productivity and simplify operation. The HC-X1 will be available in Australia in December. Pricing will be announced closer to the launch date.
Doug Campbell, Senior Product Manager, Imaging, Panasonic, said: “This camcorder combines the superior imaging and editing flexibility of 4K with high mobility and operational ease to meet professional demands.”
High-sensitivity 1-inch 4K sensor for amazing image quality
The 1-inch MOS sensor of the HC-X1 provides an excellent balance between image quality and versatility, ideal for a range of applications from cinematic video production to online video content. The camcorder can record 4K video in Cinema 4K resolution (4096 x 2160 17:9), at 24p or 4K resolution (3840 x 2160) at 50p/60p; and Full HD (1920 x 1080) video at 50p/60p. Professionals who travel and work in different countries can switch recording frequencies between 50Hz, 60Hz and 24Hz. Videos can be recorded in the MOV, MP4 and AVCHD file formats.
New 24mm wide-angle LEICA DICOMAR lens with 20x optical zoom
The newly developed HC-X1 lens system incorporates an impressive wide-angle 24mm lens (35mm equivalent). This allows low-distortion, wide-angle shooting without the use of a wide conversion lens. The lens and sensor design allow the HC-X1 to provide 20x optical zoom in a very compact and lightweight body. The 4-Drive Lens System individually drives each of the four lens groups for quick zooming between wide and telephoto.
VERSATILE FUNCTIONS FOR EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE
Designed to support professional camera work
The HC-X1 lens barrel features Triple Manual Rings for quick zoom, focus and iris operation. There are 13 customisable buttons, nine on the body and four on the LCD touch screen, which can be assigned to different functions to improve workflow.
The 3.5-inch monitor built into the camcorder handle can be pulled out and turned vertically 270 degrees for easy high or low-angle shooting, and the tilting approx. 1.77 million dot OLED electronic viewfinder is perfect for precise framing or when shooting in low lighting.
For shooting video outdoors or in bright light, there is a built-in variable ND filter with 1/4, 1/16 or 1/64 settings. For professionals who need more control, Gain and White Balance settings can be changed in camera and the HC-X1 is also equipped with a wealth of manual focus assist functions, such as MF Assist, One-Push AF, Expand/Peak, Focus Transition and Focus Area selection.
Professional interfaces for smooth system operation
The HC-X1 is equipped with two XLR audio input channels with switchable +48V phantom power and manual volume controls, allowing the use of professional microphones to record high-quality sound in either 16-bit linear PCM when shooting MOV/MP4 video, or Dolby Digital audio when shooting AVCHD video.
When mounted with the optional AJ-WM30E wireless module (sold separately), the HC-X1 can be remotely controlled with an iPad and the Panasonic AG-ROP app – offering even greater flexibility when shooting solo projects or working in teams. The HC-X1 is designed to support commercial video production, with features including a wired remote terminal, OSD level meter, 1-kHz test tone output and headphone output (3.5mm stereo mini jack).
Dual SD Card Slots for continuous and flexible recording
The HC-X1 has two SD Card slots to suit various recording scenarios depending on the user’s workflow or project requirements.
- Unlimited Relay Recording: Video can be continuously recorded by hot swapping SD cards. When the SD card in one slot reaches capacity, the camera will automatically switch to the other card, allowing users to exchange the full card with a new one while continuing to shoot.
- Simultaneous Recording: The same data is recorded simultaneously onto two cards, as backup against data loss.
- Background Recording: The SD card in Slot 2 can be set to record continuously while the SD card in Slot 1 will only record video when the REC button is pressed.
- Dual Codec Recording: Video can be recorded in different formats – for example, 4K video to Slot 1 and Full HD to Slot 2. This improves workflow for users who need to edit videos quickly or want to use the same video for different applications.
Image Adjustment Functions
- 8-Mode Gamma: The user can select from seven Gamma settings including two types of CINE-LIKE gamma, to achieve the most suitable gradation.
- 16-Axis Independent Color Correction Function: Allows color matching of multiple cameras as well as creative image rendering.
- Master Detail: Adjusts the overall degree of contour enhancement.
- Scene File: Six sets of image quality settings are preset in scene files. Parameters in each set can be changed flexibly. One set can be saved in camera, and up to eight sets can be stored on an SD memory card.
5-Axis HYBRID O.I.S. + for Full HD
5-Axis HYBRID O.I.S. + combines electronic image stabilisation with optical image stabilisation to suppress blur, including roll rotation.
High-speed, high-precision Intelligent AF
The Micro Drive Focus Unit has achieved stable and high-speed AF with excellent tracking performance to ensure accurate focusing, which is extremely important in 4K shooting. The AF operation settings are customisable including adjustments for speed, tracking sensitivity and area width.
Super Slow Motion and VFR
The Super Slow Motion function records HD images at a high speed of 120 frames per second (fps) (60 Hz)/100 fps (50 Hz) to provide a slow-motion effect. The HC-X1 has a new VFR (variable frame rate) recording function that can be set in ten steps from 2 to 60 fps. This lets the user produce creative and expressive videos using techniques such as overcranking for a slow-motion effect and undercranking for a quick-motion effect.
LCD/EVF displays to assist shooting
- Waveform and Vectorscope Display: WAVE (Waveform) and VECTOR (Vectorscope) can be easily displayed on a subscreen of the LCD monitor.
- ZEBRA: Two zebra patterns are built in. The level can be changed from 50% to 105% in 5% steps.
- Marker (Y Level): The brightness level in the center of the image is displayed as a percentage.
- Level Gauge: Horizontal or vertical tilting of the camcorder can be checked on the LCD and viewfinder.
- Safety Zone Marker and Centre Marker display.
For further information, please visit www.panasonic.com.au or call 132 600.
Maximum file size that can be recorded over multiple SD cards is 96 GB. Recording will not stop even when the data size exceeds 96 GB.
Click on the images below to enlarge.